Helping Oregon's Local Business Owners Find the Best Healthcare Plans for Their Companies and Employees

Insurance for Adult Children

My son is 25 years old, married and lives across town. With the changes in Health Care Reform, can I add him to my group health insurance policy?  

Yes. You can add your child as a dependent under your group insurance if he/she is married and living at a different address up to the age of 26 as long as he is not eligible for coverage from his own employer. That child also does not need to be a dependent on your tax return. Your child no longer needs to be enrolled full-time in college (and in the past the coverage continued up to the age of 23). Only your child would be eligible for dependent coverage, not his wife and / or child(ren).

  • Ask Me a Question About Your Insurance!

    • Please enter a value between 1 and 3.
  • Subscribe me to the Group Insurance PDX Newsletter